The newest pc-based GM Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI II) offers increased processing power, security, and faster programming speeds on Global A and future Global B vehicles. The MDI 2 supports diagnostic applications: GDS 2, Data Bus Diagnostic Tool, and Tech2Win. It also supports Pass-Thru programming applications: TIS2Web–SPS. It replaces the first generation MDI, introduced in 2007, for Pass-Thru programming on current GM models. The MDI 2 is backward compatible, so it can be used to perform Pass-Thru programming on all vehicles built since 1996.
- Uses a new, more secure Type B connector and Ground Offset Failure protection. A wired connection is recommended for longer programming events.
- The MDI 2 is powered from the vehicle battery via the DLC Cable. It may also be powered over USB to perform firmware updates only using a PC.
- Uses USB 2.0 for faster firmware downloads instead of a separate AC power supply.
- The DLC cable is twice as long as the previous cable and connects at the top, making it easier to use. The cable only connects to the MDI 2.
- MDI 2 Unit
- SAE J1962 DLC Cable (Fig. 2)
- 10-ft. USB A to USB B Cable (Fig. 3)
- Ethernet Cable
- D-Link Wireless USB Adapters (Dongles) (Optional; for wireless connection) (Fig. 4)